There is actually a purpose to this blog

Scott Adams - the writer of the 'Dilbert' comic strip - once described a Mission Statement as 'a long, complicated paragraph demonstrating management's inability to think clearly.' Therefore, I'll not call this a mission statement.

This blog is dedicated to informing civilian Park Rangers about topics routine taught to police officers but almost unknown to most of us who wear a uniform, work alone, and confront potentially dangerous on a frequent basis.

This blog is intended to offer suggestions based on my experience, and on my understanding of Maryland Law. It may be different where you are.

That's my mission.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Can You Survive...

Can you survive all night, in what you are wearing now? Or at least, what you wear on patrol?

If you responded to an incident in a remote tract of your park, and had to flee on foot, could you make it through the night in your uniform? There is no question that I have enough clothing with me in the truck; I could make out pretty well in any weather we are likely to experience in my area. I wouldn't like it, but I could do it.

But that's not the poiint - the question is, could I make it wearing only what I would likely be wearing when I was responding to the call? At the moment, it is dark, 41 degrees, and there is a light rain, mixed with sleet. The ground is muddy and everything is wet. It would be uncomfortable, at the minimum. Two days ago, it was eighteen degrees and blowing, and the conditions were well into the life threatening realm.

Think about this the next time you are on patrol. Don't just wear enough to be comfortable - wear enough to survive.



No comments:

Post a Comment