There is actually a purpose to this blog

Scott Adams - the writer of the 'Dilbert' comic strip - once described a Mission Statement as 'a long, complicated paragraph demonstrating management's inability to think clearly.' Therefore, I'll not call this a mission statement.

This blog is dedicated to informing civilian Park Rangers about topics routine taught to police officers but almost unknown to most of us who wear a uniform, work alone, and confront potentially dangerous on a frequent basis.

This blog is intended to offer suggestions based on my experience, and on my understanding of Maryland Law. It may be different where you are.

That's my mission.

Friday, January 21, 2011

What's In Your Truck?

Too much.

I tend to accumulate things in my truck that I don't really need: leftover hardware, seldom used tools, and trashbags head the list. I want to make sure that I have what I need but I sometimes carry it to extremes, based on the theory of "I might need it."

I cleaned my patrol truck out today, and filled a big plastic bin with everything from three unmatched gloves, to a VHF marine antenna, to a gigantic pair of slipjoint pliers. Bur I left a lot in it, too. Things that I can't possibly live without:
  • A short D-handle shovel
  • A pair of jumper cables
  • An 'Indian' water tank
  • A 4 D-cell Maglight
  • A big first aid kit
  • CRC
  • Hornet spray
  • Chainsaw files, wedges, and holster
  • A hard hat
  • A picture card for interviewing non-English speaking victims
  • A hatchet
  • A pry bar
  • A cheap set of socket wrenches
  • A screwdriver with changable tips
  • A raincoat and rain pants
  • A fure extinguisher
  • A soft briefcase with park maps, self registration forms, rules and regulations, and hangtags
  • A clipboard with 'courtesy notices' and waivers for jumpstarting vehicles
  • A 12 to 110 volt ADC-AC 350 watt inverter
  • A plug-in light bulb socket with bulb for checking circuit breakers
  • Sunglasses
  • A knit watch cap
  • A machette
  • 'Trash-free Parks' bags
  • 'Caution' tape
  • A 3/8" steel cable for towing
  • 2 cycle oil
  • A sheetrock bucket for holding trash
  • Spare change
  • Several assorted magnets
  • Nylon twine
  • 1/4" rope
  • 1/2" rope
  • A vertical level for setting posts
  • Trash bags
  • Several rolls of toilet paper
  • Keys to everything
  • Florescent plastic surveyer's tape
  • 'Mojo' granola bars
  • Decking screws
  • Yellow and white striping paint
  • Bott's Dots the snow plow knocked loose
I could have forgotten something.



No comments:

Post a Comment